Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Formula or Breast

One of the first decisions you must make as a mom is how to feed your little miracle. There is no right or wrong answer besides the one that is best for you. With my first, I attempted breastfeeding. I lasted about a week. My son just wouldn't latch correctly, and I just felt like I couldn't do it. So I switched to formula. At first I felt like a failure. Now that I think about it, I still provided for my son. He was able to eat, and we bonded through touch rather through feedings. I never really thought much about it until I became pregnant with my daughter. This time, I did LOTS of research. My favorite website was www.kellymom.com. It has wonderful articles on breastfeeding. It gives you tips and resources you can use to help you before, during and after you breastfeed.

Advantages and Disadvantages of Formula Feeding.

In my personal experience, the great thing about formula feeding, was that I could let my husband do some feedings. It allowed my husband and family members to get some kind of bond with my son. Also, because formula is thicker and takes longer to digest, feedings were farther apart. My son ate about every 4-6 hours which allowed me to get more rest. One thing that I did not particularly like was the cost. One can of the formula that my son needed (he had really bad acid reflux) was $15.68. Granted I had WIC (Woman, Infant Childrens Program) so I did get help with it. They gave me 7 cans a month. at the end of the month I still needed 2 cans, and 1 large container ($23.98). So for those that are out of the income bracket and have to pay fully out of pocket that ends up beings about $165 a month. It does go down once the child starts solids (recommended 6 months of age by the AAP). But with all the other expenses of diapers, clothes, and any other expenses, The first 12 months is very costly for a formula feeder. Also, another disadvantage was having to make bottles all the time. Luckily my son preferred his formula cold, so I could make a few bottles at night and stick them in the refridgerator. I do know there are some babies who will only drink warm formula so you are having to make the bottles and warm them up at night.

Advantages and Disadvantages Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding my daughter has definitely been a learning experience for me. I love the fact that I have this special bond with my daughter that no one else can have. I love that at night I can just put her next to me and she nurses with out me ever having to get out of bed. I also love how cheap it is! If anything all you would need to buy (if you choose) is a breast pump and supplies. Some disadvantages were, because I HATE pumping, she solely depends on me for her meals. My husband does not do it at all. Not because he chooses not to but because he just doesn't have milk coming from his chest. No harm, no foul. Also when you are out in public, baby still needs to eat. So where do you choose to do this? I will go over nursing in public later in my blog, for now I will just discuss my choice. I don't go to the bathroom, or sit in a hot car. I choose to nurse openly and freely. I have never had anyone give me weird looks or bash me in any way. I have nursed at the zoo, at walmart, at the park, any where my little girl is hungry she eats. No, I don't flash my breast out for the whole world to see, in fact most of the time you can't even tell what I'm doing. You just have to get that courage, but I will go over that later. Just know that you have every right to nurse in public as another baby has to bottle feed in public.

Whether you choose to formula feed or breastfeed it doesn't matter. It's what you feel is best. I've done both and know that I choose breastfeeding for the future as well

Feel free to discuss your loves and dislikes of either formula feeding or breastfeeding. Or if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment